Lonar lake: a tour between nature and spirituality
The Lonar lake is the third largest crater in the world. It was formed about 55,000 years ago with the fall of a meteorite.
As very often in India, there is also a mythological explanation for the creation of this lake. It is said that the demon Lavanasur terrorized the region. As he had great power, Vishnu decided to come in the form of Daityasudan to be able to defeat the demon. When Lavnasur got crushed under the feet of Lord Vishnu, that is when the lake was created.
It is this story which explains why there are so many temples around the lake.
We suggest you visit this village and the Lonar crater. This tour is mainly done on foot. A person should have good physical condition in order to be able to walk down towards the lake.
You can read the article about Lonar lake for know more about it.
The price for this tour is 3865 rupees (52 euros, about 55 dollars) per person.
This rate is established on the basis of a standard vehicle for 2 people.
The price may change depending on the number of people and the dates chosen.
The following are excluded from this tour:
- The international flight to India
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance
- Souvenir shopping
- All which is not included
- The day will start by pick up from your location.
- Lonar Lake is about 150km from Aurangabad, hence our 3 hours journey will start from here.
- The first stop would be Daityasudan temple in Lonar village, which is built in 12th century AD. Explore the man made beautiful architecture which is confusing to guess if it is a mosque or temple.
- Later, move towards Gomukh temple. An ancient temple but recently rebuilt. It offers the magical water which local people believes as sacred water.
- After start walking down towards with our guide, who will explain the history of Lonar sanctuary and in between, he will show you the ruined temples with its detailed information.
- Admire the Lonar Lake and visit Kamladevi temple as our last stop to know the history of this temple and to understand the mythological story about this village.
- Finish the exploration here and start walking up towards restaurant to have delicious Maharashtrian Thali.
- Return journey towards Aurangabad.
- Lonar Lake Protected Area Tour
- Discovery of original temples
- Wildlife watching
- Nature excursion